Fayette County Ohio Points of Interest
Tri-County Triangle Trail
Tri-County Triangle Trail, Inc. is a non-profit organization of volunteer supporters from Ross, Fayette and Highland Counties of Ohio supporting efforts to convert abandoned railroad corridors into recreational trails thus enhancing the environment, recreational opportunities, health, economy, neighborhoods and people of our region. This trail route is now completed from Robinson Road in Washington Court House to the city of Chillicothe and its bike paths. Visit them online for more information at: http://www.tricountytriangletrail.org
Eyman Park is the home of Engine #2776, the steam locomotive donated to Fayette County by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1960. The park also features a shelter house, playground equipment, basketball courts, two softball diamonds, a horseshoes area, and a skateboard park. A shelter house and a small stocked lake for public fishing are also available.
This community park provides basketball courts, playground equipment, a shelter house, walking trails, bicycle paths, and picnic tables.
Jeffersonville Area Veterans Memorial Park
The Jeffersonville Veterans Memorial was formally dedicated on July 15, 2006. The memorial is located in downtown Jeffersonville, Ohio, in a park donated by the Village of Jeffersonville. The memorial lists the names of 1,140 local veterans, starting with the Revolutionary War through current day. The idea to erect the memorial was conceived in November of 2002 by local veterans Eddie Halterman and Kurt Coil. They, along with committee members Roberta Bowers, Ruth Burden, Tracy Coe, Glenn Rankin, Mark Hoppes, and Frank Patton researched names and designed the monument with the help of Larry Morrison of Dodds Monument Company of Xenia, OH. Over $80,000 was donated for the memorial and park by area businesses, service organizations, and individuals.
Veterans Memorial Park
This small downtown park offers benches, a veterans’ memorial, flowers during the summer, and festive decorations for the holidays. An original Harry Ahysen mural called “Many Things Are Centered Here” depicting the old train depot and the County Court House, is featured.
Fayette County Family YMCA
The Fayette County Family YMCA is a non-profit 501c3 offering a variety of family strengthening, health and well-being, senior citizen, and youth development programs. The 37,000 square foot facility, opened in 2008, features an indoor swimming pool, wellness center, indoor track, gymnasium, youth fitness area, community room and child care.
Fayette County Court House
The Fayette County Courthouse, a source of great community pride, opened on May 1, 1885. It was the first building in Fayette County to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A giant eight day Seth Thomas clock, the second largest in the USA at the time of installation, graces the top of the building. Murals painted by Archibald M. Willard, painter of “The Spirit of 76” adorn the walls of the second floor corridor. Also of interest are seven bullet holes in the courthouse door, which resulted from Fayette County’s historic Riot of 1894. You’ll want to be sure to visit the courthouse during your trip to Fayette County to learn about all of its interesting history.
Fayette County Historical Society Museum
The Fayette County Historical Society Museum was built in 1875 by Morris Sharp with the stated purpose of erecting “the Showplace of Washington Court House”. This Victorian Italianate home was purchased by The Historical Society in 1958 for $15,000 and opened as a museum in October 1965. The museum proudly displays 14 rooms that contain fine pieces depicting the County’s history. A visit to the museum’s tower, by way of the spiral stairs, offers a spectacular panorama of the city. The museum is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Judy Chapel, located in the Washington Cemetery, was built in 1905. The chapel is an example of the Late Gothic Revival style favored for churches, chapels, and other religious buildings in Ohio from the turn of the century throughout the 1920’s. It was originally designed for funeral services at the cemetery. The Judy Chapel stands as the mausoleum of its benefactors, Dr. and Mrs. Henry Judy, whose remains are entombed in one of the two transepts. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Washington Cemetery Fountain
The Washington Cemetery Fountain, once the centerpiece of the grounds, has been restored to its former glory. Originally erected in 1892, the three-tiered fountain sculpture features two mourning statues at the base, while three cherubs above them convey their pleas to God. The woman at the top showers healing water down upon the grieving. The fountain is surrounded by beautiful gardens.